Raw Dark Chocolate Mousse
Mousse makes a quick and easy dessert when you simply don’t have enough time to temper chocolate. In the raw vegan world, using dairy products is not an option but, fear not, we have other options available to us that can produce an equally fluffy finished product. My version of raw vegan mousse combines cashews, banana & avocado to induce volume and a smooth texture. Balance with candied almonds and you’re in for a treat! Enjoy.
- ¼ Cup Raw Cashews
- 3 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
- 1 Avocado (ripe)
- ½ Banana (ripe)
- 4 tbsp Coconut Nectar *Or your preferred liquid sweetener*
- 1 Pinch Pink Salt
- 30ml Coconut Water
- Garnish Sweet & Salty Almonds (recipe below)
- Soak Cashews for 2 hours
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender except the Cacao Powder & Medicine Flower extract.
- Start blending on low speed (setting 1-3) until all ingredients are incorporated. You can use a tamper stick to help this process along.
- With the blender running add the Medicine Flower Extract and then the Cacao Powder. The mixture will thicken up here.
- To create the consistency you prefer, add Coconut Water a little at a time. If you prefer a thick mousse you may not require any extra liquid.
- Store mousse in the fridge until ready to serve. To fluff up prior to serving, simply whisk until desired consistency is reached.
Sweet & Salty Almonds
- 200g Almonds
- 100-150g Coconut Sugar (to taste)
- 5-10g Pink Salt (to taste)
- 1tsp Tamari
- Rough chop the almonds or blitz them in a food processor until you have the desired piece size. I like mine quite chunky. If you do too, blitz in small time increments in a food processor.
- Soak almonds for at least 2 hours.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and incorporate well with your hands. Taste the mixture as you combine and adjust the sugar / salt to your preferred taste.
- Evenly spread the mixture onto a non-stick Teflex sheet.
- Dehydrate at 42 degrees (108f) for 18 – 24hrs or until completely dry.
- Break into clusters and store in an air tight glass jar for up to 6-12 months.